What's this?

A little reflection daily about my language acquisition

Thursday 9 September 2021

802

 I went looking online for Youtube videos about te reo Maori. I came across one by Grant Whitbourne that recommended the book Te Rangatahi as the best Maori resource, according to the speaker.

I posted this comment:

I have my own copy of Book 1 (reprinted in 1973). I would agree with you that Te Rangatahi is good, but I don't think it is as good as it could be. Strengths (in my opinion) narratives, illustrations, simplicity, many useful sentences, and structures. Weaknesses (again in my opinion) insufficient scaffolding, unclear objectives (since section headings are in Maori), too many exercises and gap fills, and a 'backwards' arrangement of each chapter i.e. it starts with a narrative which it then breaks down. I would like to see a more bilingual approach where the Maori and the English texts are set side by side. The overall approach of this book is 90% left-brain-style thinking, and only 10% right-brain-style thinking.



No comments:

Post a Comment