What's this?

A little reflection daily about my language acquisition

Friday 3 September 2021

796

 I have already expressed my opinion concerning the difficulty level of text most suitable for learning a language (at least for me). It should be clear and simple, not verbose or overly 'literary'.

For a similar reason, I also suggest that subject matter is important. Over the past few days, I have tackled myth-type tales that involve a lot of cultural knowledge and names of historical characters and places. I'd rather not have to deal with that just yet. I'd rather get to grips with slice-of-life stories that will enable me to describe and navigate the world around me.

Yes, I know that many Maori people would regard language as being tied up with culture, and I would agree that the two are intertwined. Nevertheless - and again I speak only for myself - I would rather get the basics under my belt before venturing further afield.

No comments:

Post a Comment