What's this?

A little reflection daily about my language acquisition

Sunday 5 September 2021

798

 Today's topic may be contentious. I would like to address the connection between te reo Maori and the rest of the Maori culture. 

I've heard it said that you cannot learn the Maori language disconnected from the history, the societal culture, the traditions, and the spiritual/religious aspects of Maori life. And I think that that could be a drawback.

I'm wondering if this inclusivity may not put many people off learning the language. Personally, I have connections to several different nationalities. What I do is to pick and choose, creating my own culture on an elective basis.

I've no need for organized religion, for instance. I don't regard myself as a descendant of a people, tribe, or even family. I dislike speeches and singing.

Maybe there are Maori people who behave similarly. They may feel hesitant about learning the language (which could lead to other cultural aspects becoming accepted) if it necessitates having to accept the whole kit and caboodle. 

No comments:

Post a Comment