What's this?

A little reflection daily about my language acquisition

Saturday 28 August 2021

790

A couple of things strike me today. As I work through The Reed Maori Picture Dictionary, collecting sample sentences, I'm kind of annoyed by 'fake' sentences: sentences that are grammatically correct but that we'd hardly use. 

For example, in English, the simple present tense is not that much used for actions happening currently. We are more likely to use the present continuous (she's washing her car) or even the past (Look who just came through the door!).

So I hope that in Maori the following sentences don't sound fake.
  • I search for my soccer boots.
  • I make a hut from a big sheet.
  • I write a poem about skateboarding.
  • I am embarrassed when I sing in front of the class.

No comments:

Post a Comment