What's this?

A little reflection daily about my language acquisition

Sunday 1 August 2021

763

 


I've become more efficient with my Gold List sentence collection activity. I find that now it only takes me between 30 and 40 minutes. Since this half-year project involves seeing how far I can get doing an hour per day of right-brain play, I'll start supplementing what I do.

Imagine a wing (of a bird or a plane). When air rushes across it, that produces lift. That's my analogy for language acquisition. You expose yourself to a stream of language that you have a means of understanding, and then acquisition will automatically occur.

In that vein (vane? vain?) I spent 20 minutes this morning reading the third chapter of He Whiriwhiringa: selected readings in Maori. I could complete six pages rapidly and enjoyably. I notice that there are at least three copies of this book in the Bill Robertson Library.




No comments:

Post a Comment