What's this?

A little reflection daily about my language acquisition

Sunday 15 August 2021

777

 I don't think I've mentioned dictionaries during these past 7 weeks doing te reo Maori. Not until now. But at the Mosgiel library the other day, I took home two.

Te Kete Kupu (2006) looks useful. It provides example sentences for the 300 most essential Maori words. However, over 100 of those words are of three letters or less. Most of them are particle words, not base words. And these words are harder to get a grip of, especially when nothing has been translated into English.

Instead, I'll start with The Reed Maori Picture Dictionary (2001). It gives the Maori equivalent of over 1000 mostly nouns, verbs, and adjectives, together with Maori sentences that show how three hundred essential Māori words are used.

Kei te tuwhera te kūaha.





No comments:

Post a Comment