What's this?

A little reflection daily about my language acquisition

Monday 2 August 2021

764

 A month ago, I copied from a word frequency list. From Mary Boyce's 2006 thesis that used the MTC (Maori Texts for Children) and the MBC (Maori Broadcast Corpus) I listed both the 100 most common words and the 340 most common words in alphabetical order. At that time, I knew very few of them.

Had I went about working with those lists for a month, I would have struggled. But as it was, the work I've done collecting whole-language, authentic text sentences has enabled me to gain a fair to a great understanding of these words and many others. These words have been embedded within content-rich material. As well as gaining an understanding of the isolated words, I have also gained a sense of how these words go together i.e. grammar.

No comments:

Post a Comment