What's this?

A little reflection daily about my language acquisition

Monday 26 July 2021

757

 Sir Apirana Ngata's book on Maori grammar and conversation has 60 to 70 sections on the language used in various situational contexts. They reflect how life was at the time that the book was written (originally in 1926). Included are, for example, sections about Going on a steamboat, and Buying or hiring a carriage or horse.

Here are 10 things you might hear at a watchmaker's:

  1. I bring you my watch to be repaired. (Ka kawea mai e ahau taku wati kia mahia e koe)
  2. I fear it is broken. (E mea ana au kua pakaru pea)
  3. When will you set about repairing it? (Ahea mahia ai e koe?)
  4. I shall be obliged to keep it for a few days. (Waiho ra ki a au mo etahi rangi)
  5. I want to purchase a silver watch. (Ka pirangi ahau ki te hoko i tetahi wati hiriwa)
  6. The gold ones are better. (He pai atu nga mea koura)
  7. Will you let me have it upon trial? (E pai ranei koe kia tukua mai ki a au kia whakamatauria?)
  8. I cannot regulate it. (Kahore e taea e ahau te whakapai haere)
  9. I should like to exchange it. (Ka pirangi ahau ki te whakawhiti)
  10. Do you sell spectacles? (E hoko mowhiti ana ranei koe?

p.s. I'm pretty good with the purple bits

No comments:

Post a Comment