What's this?

A little reflection daily about my language acquisition

Monday 4 October 2021

827

 Here are the notes to the presentation I plan to give today:

Zero to 100

How much receptive knowledge of Māori can one learn in one hour per day over 6 months?

Intro

Why I started - initially as part of the GDTE (Undertake a work-based project. Advance knowledge, skills, and assessment practice. Investigate and respond to an authentic and complex question. Providing evidence of critical thinking. Identify, plan, act, examine, and share.)

1) Develop a learning activity

2) Assess how well it went

My out-of-the-box didn’t fit into their boxes

They didn’t rate it highly (25%), but I did, so I continued with it.

Why Māori?

Learn from the start (which in ELC we don’t do)

New for me, a challenge to overcome resistance, relevant in NZ, offer sorely-needed assistance

Edu bit limitation gave me the shudders

Numbers of words, greetings, self-introduction, songs, pronunciation

Led nowhere that I could see. Dead end in terms of language learning.

So, maximize my own learning, which might be useful for others

 

The idea:

Develop a methodology or praxis based on my favorite researcher’s 5 to 7 hypotheses!

§  Acquisition hypothesis

§  Input hypothesis

§  Natural order hypothesis

§  Affective filter hypothesis

§  Monitor hypothesis

§  Reading hypothesis

§  Conduit hypothesis

In common, these involve a right-brain-thinking shift (show my list)

We need to use both modes, not predominantly one.

 

What I do:

My modified version of the Gold List method

            A form of SRS (spaced repetition system)

            Utilizes long-term over short-term memory

            Employs pattern recognition

            Increases familiarity with the language by bombarding the brain

How familiar are you, on a scale of 1-5, with haere mai, kia ora, tangata whenua? (Handout)

Cross out those with a 5 or 1 & 2. Ideally, work with phrases/sentences rated 3 & 4 (so we are working at 6/10 level)

                        These are Goldilocks, sticky, juicy, i-plus-1

One sheet of target level phrases in Māori and in English per day (show my sheets)

A month later, I recopy, leaving off that 20% that is in long-term memory/have become familiar - or proved too ambitious - and fill up the gaps with new phrases

List of my resources (dictionary and grammar!)

I see it as my job to put in the time; it’s my brain’s job to absorb the language. Therefore, NO STUDY! Just soothing light exposure.

 

Does it work?

(This would have been the next module of my GDTE – sigh)

Assessment of:

1)Enjoyment/motivation/engagement/addictiveness

2)Increased familiarity

I used the 600-odd Te Kete Kupu sentences (with no English translation)

From a familiarity of 1 (maybe 1.5) to 3.38

Show my Excel

I will repeat that in 3 months without learning toward the test

            (Handout)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment