What's this?

A little reflection daily about my language acquisition

Thursday 28 October 2021

851

 A guy whose methodology I admire is Heinrich Schliemann. He lived a hundred and fifty or a couple of hundred years ago. The man learned about 14 languages in his lifetime, using basically one technique.

He'd have two books side by side. It was the same book but in different languages, one of which he knew, and the other which he wanted to learn. He'd go through, word for word, sentence by sentence. By the time he got to the end of the book, he would mostly know the vocabulary and structure of the second language.

I'm doing that with a difference. I don't do every sentence. I just do the sentences that I can manage quickly and skip the rest. I believe that this will give quicker results.

The book that I am using for Māori is Hare Pota me te Whatu Manapou. You can probably guess its title in English. Anyway, it is not an easy book. But I am ready to tackle it a la Schliemann!

No comments:

Post a Comment