What's this?

A little reflection daily about my language acquisition

Saturday 1 October 2016

14

For speakers of English, Japanese is supposed to be the hardest language to learn according to this authoritative source.

I can well believe it!

For 20 years I toyed with learning Japanese. I took a class briefly. I worked through some correspondence lessons. I tried to memorize kanji, phrases, and grammar rules. But it was all very painful. I just couldn’t apply myself.

Strangely, living in Japan wasn’t helpful; it became a hindrance. I picked up on the vibes there and became super-sensitive about making mistakes myself! And so I tried even less.

Then I moved to the Other Side.

1 comment:

  1. If I ever spend time again in Japan I would certainly wish to use my time there better.

    ReplyDelete