What's this?

A little reflection daily about my language acquisition

Saturday 24 September 2016

7

Dutch parents raised me in New Zealand. I knew no English until I started school at 5. When I was 6 we moved to Holland. Dutch replaced English. At 7 we returned to NZ. Time for English again.

This switching has given me a flexible mind. It has given me insights.

I remember the process of learning my first language. I know that schooling isn’t necessary. I know that you don’t translate between them. Grandparents are more important than grammar.


Dutch and English for me are like different parts of an ice rink. I slip from one area to another.

1 comment:

  1. This post follows on nicely from #106 about remembering Mum and Dad as a result of sorting out my languages bookshelf.

    ReplyDelete